SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) – A judge convicted a San Francisco restaurant owner on Wednesday in a five-year program involving up to $ 7.5 million in sales and $ 2.9 million in wages, that have not been reported to state authorities, prosecutors said. .
Chaturonk Ngamary Jr. is the owner of several Thai Original BBQ restaurants, located in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
READ MORE: Giants-Dodgers Series, Fleet Week Power San Francisco COVID Business Recovery
Prosecutors allege that Ngamary Jr., his father Chaturonk Ngamary Sr. and the owner of a separate original Thai barbecue restaurant, Sanjutha Hantanachaikul, all conspired between 2011 and 2016 to evade payment of sales tax to the California Department of tax administration and fees. In addition, the trio escaped payment of social security contributions and workers’ compensation insurance premiums to the state’s Department of Employment Development.
In December 2019, prosecutors indicted Chaturonk Ngamary Jr. with 57 counts, including robbery. Chaturonk Ngamary Jr. has pleaded guilty to tax evasion, possession of sales suppression software and non-payment of payroll taxes, and an improvement in white-collar crime.
A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge on Wednesday sentenced Chaturonk Ngamary Jr. to two years in prison. However, his sentence will be suspended if he passes two years of probation.
Chaturonk Ngamary Jr. has already paid more than $ 1.5 million in restitution, prosecutors said.
READ MORE: Resident interrupts burglary at South San Francisco home
In addition, prosecutors also indicted Chaturonk Ngamary Sr. with 51 counts. Chaturonk Ngamary Sr., however, fled the country and is believed to be in Thailand, prosecutors said.
The third suspect, Hantanachaikul, faced nine charges for his involvement. Last year, she pleaded guilty to filing a false income tax return and was sentenced to three years probation, prosecutors said.
California Attorney General’s Office Rob Bonta initially filed the complaint which led to the charges.
“When a business does not pay taxes and workers’ compensation premiums, it hurts its employees and affects the state’s ability to fund public services for our communities,” Bonta said in a statement. . “As the owner of several restaurants in California, the defendant has breached its obligation to the people of California and its employees. Thank you to all our partners for collaborating in the investigation and for holding the accused in this case accountable for their actions. “
NO MORE NEWS: COVID recovery: Newsom government signs measures to expand outdoor dining and take-out cocktails
© Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.